Professional Mentoring Academy
2019-2020 Mentee Application Professional Mentor Application
Purpose and General Overview
The Professional Mentoring Academy connects sophomore, junior, and senior students to experienced professionals from the KSU Foundation, KSU alumni, campus Advisory Boards, and KSU faculty and staff. Benefits for students include exclusive access to a robust network of professionals who are eager and willing to meet and share insight about life beyond college. Industry professionals will have the opportunity to mentor students on academic guidance, career advice, and personal development for an academic year. Mentors and mentees will have the opportunity to participate in one-on-one and group mentoring formats. Through a selective process, professional mentors and mentees will be matched based on career field, academic background, availability, and hobbies and interests.
- The program commitment is one academic year. Mentor/Mentee pairs are expected to meet at least once per month through face-to-face, phone/video conferencing, or email contact to discuss areas of interest relevant to the mentees continued success as a young professional.
- In addition to the monthly meeting expectations, the mentor/mentee pairs will be expected to attend a series of scheduled mentoring events throughout the year.
- Student mentees will be recruited during the summer and a personal profile will be created for each available mentee.
- Mentee Profiles will be shared with Foundation Trustees, Alumni Relations, and various Advisory Boards throughout the university to identify appropriate mentor matches.
Tentative Event and Activity Schedule
Information Sessions will be hosted to provide a general overview of the Professional Mentoring Academy including roles and responsibilities of mentees, expectations, and program incentives.
- Tuesday, August 20th @ 2 pm in Student Center 372 (Kennesaw)
- Wednesday, August 21st @ 10 am in Student Center 372 (Kennesaw)
- Thursday, August 22nd @ 2 pm in Student Center 214 (Marietta)
- Wednesday, August 28th @ 5 pm in Student Center 372 (Kennesaw)
- Friday, September 6th @ 10 am in Student Center 372 (Kennesaw)
Interview/Screening Process (June 2019 – September 2019)
Professional Mentoring Academy applications open June 2019 and will remain open through September 13, 2019. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Final interviews will be concluded by Monday, September 16, and prospective Mentee profiles will be shared with the KSU Foundation, Alumni Relations, Campus Advisory Boards, and KSU Faculty/Staff throughout the University
Professional Mentoring Academy Mentee Orientation (Saturday, September 21, 2019)
An orientation to prepare mentees and provide techniques on how to maximize the mentoring relationship and experience. The orientation sessions will include mentee program expectations, professional business etiquette, interviewing/networking skills prep, and leadership development activities. Free breakfast will be provided.
***Mentee/Mentor Pairings completed (October 18, 2019) ***
Homecoming Tailgating and Networking Event (October 12, 2019)
Mentee/Mentor pairs will come together to network and celebrate during KSU’s Homecoming event and football game.
Leadership Panels/Seminars (November 2019 and February 2020)
Leadership panels/seminars will involve professional mentors sharing their expertise on leadership, career success, and personal development. Mentors/mentees will also be provided time to socialize and network.
National Mentoring Month Activities (January 2020)
A month of activities and events centered on promoting the concept of mentoring
Mentor/Mentee Day of Service Project (March 21, 2020)
Professional Mentoring Academy will host a special project in support of KSU’s Day of Service.
MENTOR Gala (April 2020)
Special night honoring our Professional Mentoring Academy mentors and mentees. Includes mentor/mentee testimonials, dinner, awards and recognition. Introductory remarks provided by the president or senior representative of the university.